For a belt, I cut the electrical cord off a clothing iron. The ends started to fray, so I re-cut them, burnt/fused them and dipped them in hot candle wax, which was rock hard after it cooled. I tie the ends together around my waste with a bowline knot.
Some things from the last 5 days:
- I preached on a microphone at Flinders St Station.
- A minister told me the motto for their buildings was 'People are more important than things.'
- Spent the night, house sitting a friends flat, watching Foxtel. So easy to be distracted from the 'real' world, I haven't slept there again, yet...
- Inspired another street person to start his own blog.
- Watched Borat, with friends.
- Handed out some gospel tracts, and people didn't throw them away?!
- Was put up in a backpackers hotel for a night by some concerned Christians, and had to convince them not to put me up for the whole week.
- Actually found a nice quiet spot to type in the State Library.
- An elderly lady stopped me in the street to ask why I had a cross on my top. When I told her what I was doing, she started crying, which made me cry. She said my parents must have raised me well. I agreed but when I mentioned that they couldn't understand why I am relying on the charity of others when I could support myself with a job, she responded they have it upside down, and you need to please God first.
- Made a baby smile.
- Had lunch with a mate who cooked the best meal I have tasted this year.
- Read some of my Biography of St.Francis book.
- Found a working bike rear lights module, blinking in the middle of the street.
- Spent the night sitting in Baptist Place alley, thinking about issues of drug use. I dozed off and when I woke up I found an empty syringe packet, so someone must have been there while I slept...