Sunday, June 03, 2007

Thurs/Fri/Sat 8-10th March 07

Three months of Faith Walking were coming to a close. It had been an amazing experience of learning and growing in my relationships with God and others. This would have been the perfect time to bring it to an end and return to regular work and life, but I first had to check what God wanted..

Thursday
I slept most of Thursday. When I got up I went and sat on the couch, in the back yard, and thought about the frustration of reaching out to all those guys about Alpha, and none of them turning up. When my mate came by I asked him his opinion about the different types of thermal underwear and to my surprise he said he had an extra set he didn't really need, and went and got them for me! Well my wondering about whether synthetic or wool was best was resolved, he had one of each. Some blue synthetic pants and a brown wool top. That night I headed out to hear a friend's band play at a pub, and so I put the thermals on to test them out. They worked well except the woolen top was prickly against my skin, and so I did a little switcheroo and put my t-shirt on under the woolen top, and it was fine after that. Walking back to the shed that night I found the thermals were very effective in keeping me warmer, although it wasn't winter yet..

Friday
A funny thing happened. In the morning, before I headed off into the city, each of the house mates stopped by for a chat at different times, and each one told me that I was welcome to use the shed whenever I wanted, for as long as they were there.. wow (I later checked with my mate and he confirmed they had not discussed it with each other). So I now had the warmer clothing and shelter if I needed it. I really felt God was speaking to me through this that provision had been made for me to continue on with my journey through the Winter.

Later I was back at HJs and the manager noticed me at near the counter and said "weren't you the guy I wouldn't give the water to? I have since thought about it and decided you were right, I should have given you the drink." I thanked him and said not to worry about it.

In the evening I went to my friends place for our Friday night tv catchup. He asked me if I was going to have a shower and I explained I was still on my food/washing fast until the ten days was up (tomorrow). He offered to wash my feet for me (on account they were a bit smelly) but I said that would still be breaking the rules of the fast I had set myself. Over the next couple of minutes I thought about it some more and decided that the purpose of the fast had been to receive guidance from God as to whether to continue the Faith walk beyond the three month period, and I felt that I had received that answer in the recent provisions. So I felt comfortable about ending it a day early and went and had a shower, followed by a hot dinner :)

Saturday
I visited my family for my Dad and brothers combined birthday get together, and relaxed. I thought about what God would have in store for me as I continued on. Since the first 3 months had now come to and end, and I had decided to continue on through Winter, I thought it most likely that I wouldn't need to rethink my direction until probably December 07, a year later from when the Journey began..

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey there,
I read your blog on and off - it's an interesting read!

I'm curious as to why you're not washing. A lot of the people I know who live on the streets get really pi**ed off with people who don't wash, because they feel it gives all streeties a bad name, and because it's actually not too hard to find places to shower etc if you want to (I hang around Urban Seed, btw - we know a few of the same people). I'm just curious as to whether you've thought about this?

John Christopher said...

Hi rebecca,

Funnily enough, people (including streeties) have accused me of not being a streetie on the basis I was too clean!

Yes, I think about it a bit (especially when I am talking to a dirty and smelly person), as I too have learned there are enough available free services in the CBD that there is no reason why any streetie can't be washed and clean, if they really want to. So what is going on in their minds?

I didn't wash for those 10 days as an experiment as it was an simply idea I had that I thought 'may have' been an idea from God (to try in congunction with the fasting)and therefore worth exploring. As it progressed I contemplated the issue of the homeless not washing and also the biblical connection of fasting and being dirty, which I expand on further in the comments discussed on the post marked 'Friday 2nd March'.

Rebecca said...

Cool...I'm yet to read your new post...

Re your question about what's going on in their minds - how about mental illness, depression etc? I know that when I've been depressed even the smallest things (like getting out of bed, having a shower, and putting clothes) can seem like a monumental effort.

John Christopher said...

Yes I guess there is an element of 'dressing gown' syndrome, when it's just too much effort to look after yourself beyond the basic necessity of food and sleep (and vice), which can come as a result of depression.

But I think it is more just a case of hygiene not being a perceived priority (not from depression or illness) but probably because nobody really criticizes them too their face about it.. Are you going to go up to a homeless person and say "you stink!.." Their appearance is likely a part of their identity, and they want to be accepted as they are without judgement.